Skip to main content

Lack Of Resources Versus Fear of Failure


Many moons ago when the entrepreneurial bug bit me, through the Gordon Institute of Business Science(GIBS), I was honored and privileged to be mentored by Robert Brozin the co-founder of Nandos. He said something that I did not understand then, but later made a lot of sense. He said: "ride the crest of fearlessness and naivety". At first, I took offense from his statement, but as an entrepreneur, I brushed it off and listened to my own noise. I continued running my business with minimal resources I had, no funding and no fear that I might fail.

Three years after riding the crest of fearlessness and naivety unknowingly, the chickens came home to roost. There I was; confronted with a lease contract and license agreement which I signed with mighty naivety and fearlessness. I did not know what I got myself into. The most amazing thing was: when I did it, I didn't know the consequences of my actions, and fear was absent. 

I remember calling Rob, thanking him for telling me undiluted truth and apologizing for wearing my emotions on my sleeves. He was in stitches, not because of "I told you so” attitude, but bringing humor so that the lesson can sink in. He asked me two questions: what have I learned and how much school fees I paid?

After reflecting on Rob’s questions, and trying to answer them with absolute truthfulness. I realized that my lack of fear for failure and my extra dose of naivety kept me going in those three years. I recall my business plan was in my head and I consulted a freshman -recently graduated lawyer for advice on the matters- naivety at its best! At the time, it was good for me not to know how painful and costly it could be to make an uninformed business decision. I was indeed, under the entrepreneurship spell, call it the beginner’s luck or bluntly put - riding the fearlessness and naivety crest.

Given all this, I always wonder; had I had a glimpse of the pain and failures that were awaiting me, would I had taken the plunge? The answer for me is NO! Fear of failure or pain paralyzes one to act. After the lease contract and license agreement baptism of fire; I was a bit cautious and careful. Initially, I thought my entrepreneurial vibe had died, but in essence, the lessons were sinking and being practiced.

From this, I learned that fear of failure is more paralyzing than the lack of resources. There are scores of people are out there, who have resources, but their fear of failure has kept them hostage and their dreams of becoming entrepreneurs have become their nightmares. Let me tell you; failure is such a good antidote for any entrepreneur. In my view, failure is just one thing we should embrace and celebrate as entrepreneurs. We should take it as a rite of passage.

Realizing that failure was going to be part of my journey, I then developed strategies or models to deal with the eminent failures awaiting me. One of the strategies that I came up with and really worked for me was the CCCC MODEL. I hope the CCCC MODEL helps to unstuck entrepreneurs who are bound by their past failures or mistakes and scared to start all over again or the ones who believe they lack resources but their fear of failure is paralyzing them. 

The CCCC MODEL prescribes 4 simple steps to be followed whenever one is confronted with failure:

  1. Cost it       - know exactly how much you paid for your mistake or failure
  2. Claim it     - before you look outside, claim and apportion your contribution
  3. Correct it  - put measures in place of not repeating the same thing, remember      entrepreneurship is a continuous improvement project
  4. Continue   - shrug off the shame and condemnation, move on, you are now prepared for your next endeavor.  





Comments

  1. This is fantastic my beautiful sis. I love the lessons and really learn a lot from you with every blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ayesha. I am happy that you are extracting something from my blogs. The idea of my blogs is to share,influence and empower. Please make sure you SHARE it and subscribe. Thank you

      Delete
  2. True Dudu one should not feel sorry or even ashamed after failing. The CCCC is the best solution and way forward. From failure one can learn valuable lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, remember failure is just one medicine that is vital for every entrepreneur. What is more important though is ;learning from the failure and move on.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this article the most. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mbini. Do make sure that you share it and subscribe.

      Delete
  4. Important and introspective lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dudu
    I enjoyed the article.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Woman, and In Businesses : Lessons Learned - Loud Silent Practises

Surely this is just one topic that had been covered extensively by experts, government institutions, business people and ordinary citizens alike. Given the advancement of conversations on equality and women’s rights globally, it is difficult to think that I am penning down my experiences on loud yet silent practices that are perpetuated against women in the business world. The first glaring observation that anyone can make is: globally, statistics show that there are more women than men, yet, women are outnumbered by men in the corporate and business world. Culture, religion and maternal nature of women have been cited as the reason for this anomaly. Whether the gender representation in the corporate and business world is by default or design, it just one of the areas that need to be tackled to bring about inclusivity and equality. When I entered the business world eleven years ago, I was very much aware of the gender imbalance, its pros, and cons, but; I did want it to det

WHY AND WHOM ARE YOU DOING IT FOR?

Not once, not twice, had I asked myself -  why and whom am I doing this for?   I heard other entrepreneurs asking the same question in their journey of entrepreneurship. This must be a universal question in entrepreneurship; if you are an entrepreneur, and you have not asked yourself this question or never heard it from your fellow entrepreneur, you are one in a million! Why and whom are you doing it for?   It is a very strange question. For, when it is asked it does not suggest that one has given up, nor does it suggest that one does not know why he/she is an entrepreneur. It is asked for the sole purpose of reaffirming one's conviction and commitment to entrepreneurship journey and reconfirming staying on course for the cause. I tell you; this question cannot be taken to a therapist for unpacking or assistance.  No matter how many times it is asked; the one who is asking has to answer him/herself, as the best answer has to come from within. Sometimes when asked, it is like