Skip to main content

Being A Woman, and In Businesses : Lessons Learned - Loud Silent Practises



Surely this is just one topic that had been covered extensively by experts, government institutions, business people and ordinary citizens alike.

Given the advancement of conversations on equality and women’s rights globally, it is difficult to think that I am penning down my experiences on loud yet silent practices that are perpetuated against women in the business world. The first glaring observation that anyone can make is: globally, statistics show that there are more women than men, yet, women are outnumbered by men in the corporate and business world. Culture, religion and maternal nature of women have been cited as the reason for this anomaly. Whether the gender representation in the corporate and business world is by default or design, it just one of the areas that need to be tackled to bring about inclusivity and equality.

When I entered the business world eleven years ago, I was very much aware of the gender imbalance, its pros, and cons, but; I did want it to deter me. After changing the focus from kid’s clothes design and manufacturing. I ventured into the industrial laundry business. As expected, the most conspicuous thing was: about 90% of business owners were men and yet over 90% of workers in the laundry were women.

As a woman owner in the industry, I was sticking out like a sore thumb. I had to cover my basis as a new entrant and embark on a serious intelligence on my competition. The exercise proved to be beneficial, as we had had unscheduled visits and calls from our colleagues pretending to be prospective clients.

The competition was understood and managed, now getting a decent credit terms from suppliers who were predominantly males was rather an uphill challenge. Credit application with all required documents would be submitted. Strangely, an unprecedented call, enquiring who were the owners of the company was the order of the day after submitting the application.

After a series of such calls and engaging with the so-called credit granters/controllers. A set of questions which were unrelated to the application would follow; and these questions were: Do you have insurance? Are you married? In the event that the company cannot pay, who will be responsible for the account? From these questions, I realized that the silent yet the loud question was: Is there a man backing up the business?  

I observed the interpersonal and professional relations between myself and male employees and support staff from our suppliers, be the drives, machine maintenance, etc; with great interest and concern. Without vocalizing it, it was evident that they were comfortable taking instructions from any male around me, without knowing if those males were partners or directors in the business. At first, I attributed their behavior to their professional level and exposure, but I was taken aback when a similar behavior was displayed when I was soliciting for new business. 

The procurement managers of the institutions where I would solicit business from were mostly males. They would be excited at first that the business was woman-owned, and the company is compliant, however, they will never miss an opportunity to alarm me that: laundry business was tough and it needed manpower. I would always give no credit to this comment, and remark- we have enough men at the factory to help us with heavy laundry loads.   
  
These were just a few of my personal accounts. Some of my accounts were gross and elicited anger. As an entrepreneur, I learned to listen to my own noise, and my noise at the time was saying I deserved to be there!  To deal with these prejudices and the subtle ill practices.  I invited my ex-husband to join me in the company as a minority shareholder.  His role was very simple and clear- to show up whenever I was pitching for new business; and to put down fires whenever there were problems with a male employee. This worked well for a while but, in hindsight I realized that I was voluntarily giving away power, perpetuating patriarchy, betraying woman's struggle and not doing justice to the women's equality agenda.

Suppliers, clients, and staff members called me: "Mr. Mofokeng's wife". Whenever Mr. Mofokeng was not available to take the calls, clients, suppliers, etc would be told they would be transferred to his wife. It is at this point when I realized the negative investment the arrangement had on my profile as a businesswoman. My code name was "Mr. Mofokeng's wife".  To make amends and reverse the situation, Mr. Mofokeng was allocated a different role in the business. It was not easy, but worth it!!

I learned that as a female entrepreneur, unlike female professionals, we do not have the protection of company policies. Our protection comes from our confidence in our own capabilities- Be fearless and confident and know you are worthy to take part in the space. It is easy to voluntarily give away power, perpetuating the status quo, and betraying the woman's agenda by thinking you are making wise and sensible decisions for the business. The business world is under a transformation. Women are needed in this space to influence this process. Mbokodo-rock!(Referring to a strong courageous woman) stay in your post!

Photo credit- Chris Barbilis on Unplash

Comments

  1. Until the Lions have their Historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter ...
    Thank you for shining the light. The journey continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dudu for opening up, very profound

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Karabo. lets us be prisoners of biographies. Thank you so much for your input.

      Delete
    2. You are most welcome. When you are able to share to others growth has taken place. Follow my blog will continue to share

      Delete
  3. Your dedication to success is an inspiration to all who know you. You are a true leader. I wish you continued success in anything you choose to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Ed. I thank people like you for showing me ropes. I owe it to you, thank you for sharing unreservedly. I am because you are! As you told me many years ago- success is a state of mind. I am extremely positive about the future.

      Delete
  4. Powerful post and thought provoking too!! Makes one wonder how many times do we give our power away and then wonder why things don't change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane. Thank you so much for your input, and more so for the observation you made. The sad thing is, when we give away the power, we always convince ourselves that it is justifiable, it is for the good cause. We will soldier on as women all over the world, sharing, teaching, influencing and empowering each other and our young people.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lack Of Resources Versus Fear of Failure

Many moons ago when the entrepreneurial bug bit me, through the Gordon Institute of Business Science(GIBS), I was honored and privileged to be mentored by Robert Brozin the co-founder of Nandos. He said something that I did not understand then, but later made a lot of sense. He said:  "ride the crest of fearlessness and naivety".  At first, I took offense from his statement, but as an entrepreneur, I brushed it off and listened to my own noise. I continued running my business with minimal resources I had, no funding and no fear that I might fail. Three years after riding the crest of fearlessness and naivety unknowingly, the chickens came home to roost. There I was; confronted with a lease contract and license agreement which I signed with mighty naivety and fearlessness. I did not know what I got myself into. The most amazing thing was: when I did it, I didn't know the consequences of my actions, and fear was absent.  I remember calling Rob, thanking him for te

WHY AND WHOM ARE YOU DOING IT FOR?

Not once, not twice, had I asked myself -  why and whom am I doing this for?   I heard other entrepreneurs asking the same question in their journey of entrepreneurship. This must be a universal question in entrepreneurship; if you are an entrepreneur, and you have not asked yourself this question or never heard it from your fellow entrepreneur, you are one in a million! Why and whom are you doing it for?   It is a very strange question. For, when it is asked it does not suggest that one has given up, nor does it suggest that one does not know why he/she is an entrepreneur. It is asked for the sole purpose of reaffirming one's conviction and commitment to entrepreneurship journey and reconfirming staying on course for the cause. I tell you; this question cannot be taken to a therapist for unpacking or assistance.  No matter how many times it is asked; the one who is asking has to answer him/herself, as the best answer has to come from within. Sometimes when asked, it is like