Skip to main content

Entrepreneur, Listen To Your Own Noise!

I had never understood the concept of "listening to your own noise" until I become an entrepreneur. It has nothing to do with dismissing the coaching, advice, and guidance from those with experience. All it means is; deep inside of you, lies the primary and sufficient resources you need, therefore, trust yourself and your ideas, as no one can do it for you.

If an entrepreneur does not believe in her/himself or his/her idea. Who else can believe on her/his behalf? Listening to your own noise is to be a prisoner of your own destiny. Convicted only- by what is placed in your heart and mind. Taking out the emotional aspect of being a dreamer/entrepreneur. Listening to your own noise does not mean being big-headed, but has everything to do with being single-minded, hard-working, committed, desperate and a solid state of mind. The daily struggles of entrepreneurs are; out a hundred things that will happen to entrepreneurs in a day,  ten will be good, and ninety will be bad, but entrepreneurs will not be deterred by the ninety. The will continue to pursue that which is placed in their hearts, and wake up the next day and repeat the cycle.  You may ask yourself, how do they make it? The answer is: They listen to their own noise.

No amount of discipline, hard-working, single-mindedness........ etc,  can take away the importance of the strong state of mind of an entrepreneur.  If the entrepreneur's mind is not healthy and strong it becomes porous, allowing everything to go through. Its ability to sift, package and reframe information received for the benefit of the entrepreneur ceases, and thus become detrimental.  What propels an entrepreneur from rejection to rejection then breakthrough is his or her state of mind! 

At the start of my business career, when  I was pitching for finance or new business, I was turned down a couple of times. After receiving the negative response I would ask, how could I improve for my next pitch, I knew the "NO" did not mean "END". After numerous pitches, gradually the feedback changed from " funding declined" to was "we will invest in the jokey, not business". All it meant was- they believed in me, but my idea needed refinement. From this experience, I realized something amazing about fanciers. Their first prize is always a viable idea, but when they find a passionate, committed and mentally strong jokey, who has moved a needle or taken the risk in his or her own venture, they look at proposal differently.

My journey in entrepreneurship revealed to me that; if you do not have confidence and conviction coupled with a good attitude in receiving feedback, then your business will never take off.  It is important to allow those who have "walked the talk" give you input, but never allow them to shoot you or your idea down without showing you where you can improve. Be a prisoner of your destiny and your idea. How many people have been told that their ideas will never work, but, today their trashed ideas, are enabling the lives of those who trashed the idea? Remember some feedbacks we get are merely people's reflection of their insecurities, relationship with risk or their disappointments in themselves.

Out there, there are people who are qualified in telling others- "it won't work", "it has never been", its too risky, yet those people have not tried anything. Listen to your own noise.

Listen to your own noise!
Be an eternal optimist!





Comments

  1. Thank you for such inspiring insights and advice. Its encouraging to hear that funders can tap into their own humanity (instincts) provoked by the passion of the Entrepreneur.I am a great believer that many ideas are fresh & untested yet they are solutions for the current issues and therefore may NOT tick all the traditional boxes of financial or funding models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nomase

      Thank you so much for your input. Can't agree with more. The current funding model especially for the SME needs to be looked at and reviewed. With the advent of technology,we are happy to see alternative funding methods, which are rendering the traditional financial institutions redundant.

      Delete
  2. Well put Dudu."Listen to your own noise"...wow! I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see that you have "walked the walk and now you can talk the talk". Well done Dudu.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Woman, and In Businesses : Lessons Learned - Loud Silent Practises

Surely this is just one topic that had been covered extensively by experts, government institutions, business people and ordinary citizens alike. Given the advancement of conversations on equality and women’s rights globally, it is difficult to think that I am penning down my experiences on loud yet silent practices that are perpetuated against women in the business world. The first glaring observation that anyone can make is: globally, statistics show that there are more women than men, yet, women are outnumbered by men in the corporate and business world. Culture, religion and maternal nature of women have been cited as the reason for this anomaly. Whether the gender representation in the corporate and business world is by default or design, it just one of the areas that need to be tackled to bring about inclusivity and equality. When I entered the business world eleven years ago, I was very much aware of the gender imbalance, its pros, and cons, but; I did want it to det

Lack Of Resources Versus Fear of Failure

Many moons ago when the entrepreneurial bug bit me, through the Gordon Institute of Business Science(GIBS), I was honored and privileged to be mentored by Robert Brozin the co-founder of Nandos. He said something that I did not understand then, but later made a lot of sense. He said:  "ride the crest of fearlessness and naivety".  At first, I took offense from his statement, but as an entrepreneur, I brushed it off and listened to my own noise. I continued running my business with minimal resources I had, no funding and no fear that I might fail. Three years after riding the crest of fearlessness and naivety unknowingly, the chickens came home to roost. There I was; confronted with a lease contract and license agreement which I signed with mighty naivety and fearlessness. I did not know what I got myself into. The most amazing thing was: when I did it, I didn't know the consequences of my actions, and fear was absent.  I remember calling Rob, thanking him for te

WHY AND WHOM ARE YOU DOING IT FOR?

Not once, not twice, had I asked myself -  why and whom am I doing this for?   I heard other entrepreneurs asking the same question in their journey of entrepreneurship. This must be a universal question in entrepreneurship; if you are an entrepreneur, and you have not asked yourself this question or never heard it from your fellow entrepreneur, you are one in a million! Why and whom are you doing it for?   It is a very strange question. For, when it is asked it does not suggest that one has given up, nor does it suggest that one does not know why he/she is an entrepreneur. It is asked for the sole purpose of reaffirming one's conviction and commitment to entrepreneurship journey and reconfirming staying on course for the cause. I tell you; this question cannot be taken to a therapist for unpacking or assistance.  No matter how many times it is asked; the one who is asking has to answer him/herself, as the best answer has to come from within. Sometimes when asked, it is like