Skip to main content

WHY AND WHOM ARE YOU DOING IT FOR?


Not once, not twice, had I asked myself - why and whom am I doing this for?  I heard other entrepreneurs asking the same question in their journey of entrepreneurship. This must be a universal question in entrepreneurship; if you are an entrepreneur, and you have not asked yourself this question or never heard it from your fellow entrepreneur, you are one in a million!

Why and whom are you doing it for?  It is a very strange question. For, when it is asked it does not suggest that one has given up, nor does it suggest that one does not know why he/she is an entrepreneur. It is asked for the sole purpose of reaffirming one's conviction and commitment to entrepreneurship journey and reconfirming staying on course for the cause. I tell you; this question cannot be taken to a therapist for unpacking or assistance.  No matter how many times it is asked; the one who is asking has to answer him/herself, as the best answer has to come from within. Sometimes when asked, it is like an entrepreneur is looking for a fix, once asked, the entrepreneur get clarity and mobility in her/her stuck state.

In my entrepreneurship journey, I still ask this question to this day. It is one of those questions you can ask every day and the answer seems to be new yet the same- stay on course for the cause.

What could be the cause for accidental entrepreneurs like myself, who got into the business by sheer accident? Evidently, the cause for me is not the baton that is passed on me. I don't have to take the reign from mommy or daddy. I am not on family duty in preserving the family legacy. No, no, no. Mommy was a kitchen girl and daddy, -a garden boy! I cannot for the life of me say, I am preserving the family legacy. 

I found solace in my heart though, in the discernment that: I am not doing it for my mom and dad. The temptation to think, I am doing it for my kids comes and still lingers in mind. This thought scares me a lot, as, I am not sure if my kids would ever want to agree to this. Let alone, taking over the business one day, as they have come face to face with the horrific reality and drab side of entrepreneurship. They are the ones who witnessed furniture being attached and repossessed by the sheriff.  They saw household items sold at a pawn shop just to survive another month. They are the ones who had to downgrade from fancy luxurious cars, just for mommy to buy a machine for the factory. The brunt of absent mom who either is late or never pitches for school activities was felt by them. With all this and more, to think I am doing it for them, I guess I am kidding myself.

The entrepreneurship dream we probably bought into, (myself, and kids)  was: living large and, them -being a bosses' kids, and that, was just a dream or a fantasy, to say the least. Everything they witnessed and what I went through at the start of my business, is nothing that can inspire a child to say; " one day I would like to be an entrepreneur like my mom”.  Under the circumstances, I was not under no illusion to think I was doing it for my kids.

This is a hard realization, especially for a mom/female entrepreneur, because, I am a mother before I am an entrepreneur, and I take suffering as a mother on behalf of my kids.  I guess this is the suffering that is exclusive to me only. Why then am I doing this? I know I am not preserving a family legacy. A thought that I am doing it for the kids is rather foolish.  

In the previous blog, I wrote about the power of listening to your own noise as an entrepreneur.  I guess, to answer this, one needs to listen to her own noise to find the "Why". Having sifted all the emotions. Information was, packaged and reframed in my mind. In the end, I know exactly why I am an entrepreneur.  I am doing it for myself and those who will come after me (they don't have to know, agree and appreciate it, but they will thank me later)!  I am trailblazer (umkhomba ndlela). There is no legacy that is built overnight. If I want to breed a culture of entrepreneurship or business in my family and my community, then this is the reason I am an entrepreneur. This is MY MISSION!

Lethabo Mokoena, a budding entrepreneur from Daveyton township, who owns a sneaker cleaning clinic (Walk Fresh) always say- "The kids are watching" I guess, ours, as entrepreneurs who have no reference, is to model for the next generation, rewrite the narrative for our families and our societies. Entrepreneurship is bigger than oneself or the individual!



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. You are most welcomed. let continue building each other through our experiences, remember we cannot be bystanders in this life.

      Delete
  2. We are indeed doing it as imikhomba ndlela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Remember someone was a trailblazer(umkhomba ndlela) before me.Our is to pick up the baton.

      Delete
  3. My sisi, I fully concur with your sentiments here. The sad reality is that we rarely ask ourselves this question when things are good, only when we hit hard times and we further add salt to wound by questioning everything we are.
    Entrepreneurship is a journey, and what I'm learning is that we continuously have to engage those closest and dearest to us.
    Stay blessed my sis (KC)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear KC

    Thank you so much for your input. It is so amazing that when we experience the opposite of what we desire,we are steered to what we want. Maybe we should appreciate and celebrate hard times too. I once wrote a quote that read: "Whether you are in an upward or downward slope in your life endeavours, stand firm- like a house built on a slope. The struggle must continue KC

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are most welcomed. Thank you for taking time to read my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Woman, and In Businesses : Lessons Learned - Loud Silent Practises

Surely this is just one topic that had been covered extensively by experts, government institutions, business people and ordinary citizens alike. Given the advancement of conversations on equality and women’s rights globally, it is difficult to think that I am penning down my experiences on loud yet silent practices that are perpetuated against women in the business world. The first glaring observation that anyone can make is: globally, statistics show that there are more women than men, yet, women are outnumbered by men in the corporate and business world. Culture, religion and maternal nature of women have been cited as the reason for this anomaly. Whether the gender representation in the corporate and business world is by default or design, it just one of the areas that need to be tackled to bring about inclusivity and equality. When I entered the business world eleven years ago, I was very much aware of the gender imbalance, its pros, and cons, but; I did want it to det

Lack Of Resources Versus Fear of Failure

Many moons ago when the entrepreneurial bug bit me, through the Gordon Institute of Business Science(GIBS), I was honored and privileged to be mentored by Robert Brozin the co-founder of Nandos. He said something that I did not understand then, but later made a lot of sense. He said:  "ride the crest of fearlessness and naivety".  At first, I took offense from his statement, but as an entrepreneur, I brushed it off and listened to my own noise. I continued running my business with minimal resources I had, no funding and no fear that I might fail. Three years after riding the crest of fearlessness and naivety unknowingly, the chickens came home to roost. There I was; confronted with a lease contract and license agreement which I signed with mighty naivety and fearlessness. I did not know what I got myself into. The most amazing thing was: when I did it, I didn't know the consequences of my actions, and fear was absent.  I remember calling Rob, thanking him for te